Thursday, November 14, 2013

Simple Steps to Become Fit

Have you noticed how some people are just fit?  How is that?  Well... to be truly fit doesn't "just happen."  If you want to be fit, you will need to work on that.  However, it doesn't have to be "work".  We'll talk later about ways to make fitness fun.  It is easier to create new healthy habits that last when we get enjoyment from them.

1. Decide what you want in terms of your fitness

Often we don't get what we want because we haven't clearly determined what it is that we want.   That applies to all areas of our lives not just fitness. But if you say, "I want to be fit."  Well, was does that mean to you?  To some people it may simply be a number on a scale.  To some people it may mean being able to keep up with their kids running in the back yard.  Others may want to run a marathon.  What does being fit mean to you?

You may think, well I know what being fit means.  That's great, you are a step ahead of many of us.  I still want you to be as specific as you can in terms of how you would measure that fitness.

If you are one of those who see fitness as a number on a scale, I do want to ask you to rethink that as the sole criteria.  Our weight is important but is only one factor.  Being a health and wellness coach, I immediately think of heart health when I think of fitness (also as just one factor) but we've really got to exercise that heart muscle for fitness.

Also, just because you don't want to be a body builder or look like one, that doesn't mean that weight training is not important.  Building lean muscle mass is important for health and well-being at every age.  It also doesn't have to come from going to a gym and lifting weights.  There are many exercises that use your own body weight for strength training.


2. Write down your definition of fitness

Now that you've clarified it in your head, write it down. This helps to set your intention to achieve that level of fitness.

3. Create goals around your definition of fitness

All goals need to be SMART goals.

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time driven



Here's an example of a well-written goal.  "I will run and complete a marathon by May 31, 2013 at 5 pm."

It is specific - running a marathon.  It is measurable. It does say by when this will be completed.  But now is it attainable and realistic?  Are there any marathons happening at a location you can be at this month?  Are you ready to run a marathon?  If you are currently 100 pounds overweight and completely sedentary, you do not want to set a goal to run a marathon this month.  You can absolutely set that as a goal but you want to be realistic in all aspects of the goal including time frame.

I always have long-term goals in all areas of my life but I find it very useful to have short term goals that when I achieve I move closer to the long-term goal and I have that feeling of accomplishment more often than if I have wait 5 years.

4.  Start imagining yourself as that fit person you want to be

How do you feel?  What do you look like?  What kind of external feedback to you receive?  Feel it.  Enjoy it.  Know that this is you!

Some people think of this visualization exercise as silly but it is much more powerful that people realize.  Professional athletes use this all the time.


5. Make your fitness (and your health) a priority

When you opt not to do some form of exercise (gardening, running, jumping jacks, cleaning, dancing), what are you doing instead?  What are you making a priority?  Is that newest reality TV show really more important than your fitness.  There are plenty of TV commercial based exercises that I'll share, too.

6. Take action

I know for years I have said that health and fitness were my priorities but never took action on it.  In fact, I have studied health and fitness unofficially and officially for over thirty years.  The reality, however, is that it has only been in the last few years that I have started applying all the knowledge I built up in that time :)  I'm not yet at the fitness level I would like to be but I'm on my way.

7. Celebrate your actions

It is so important to celebrate or at the very least acknowledge our achievements.  We often focus on what we didn't accomplish instead of what we did.  So if you want to workout 5 days this week but only did 3, congratulate yourself for doing 3!  Next week you can work toward the goal of 5.

8. Reward yourself

This goes along with the celebrating your successes but we feel good when we are rewarded.  As such, we are more likely to keep going in that right direction.  I do not recommend rewarding yourself with food but occasionally a nice, healthy meal can be the reward.  If one of your goals is to become thinner and you've achieved that, I find it more fun to go out an get some new clothes that are smaller and reinforce my success!







No comments:

Post a Comment